6 Critical Factors For Successful Trading
Success in any profession can be broken down into a number of critical factors. Trading is no different. Does your trading tick all 6 boxes or are there any areas you need to work on:
1. Do you have an edge? Trading futures is a zero sum game - you must have an identifiable edge over the other market participants. Have you identified a high probability pattern that can be exploited time after time? Remember though, the only constant in trading is change - you will have to constantly evolve your trading edge to stay ahead of the crowd.
2. Disciplined Execution. There is no point in identifying an edge if you can't execute the trade. Measure your trading success against your trading plan not the actual outcome of the trade. If you make a loss but you executed your trade exactly according to your plan than pat yourself on the back, don't beat yourself up over it.
3. Money Management. If your risk per trade is too aggressive then you run too high a risk of blowing your account, too conservative and you will not optimize returns from your system. It is essential to establish the maximum expected draw down of any system and set money management rules accordingly.
4. Have a Trading Plan. A trading plan will dictate what you will do in any given situation during the trading day. When the market is open you do not want to have to think - just concentrate on executing your plan. When the market is closed you need to be preparing for the next session to ensure you have a clear plan prepared.
5. Accountability. You are responsible for every trade. Ultimately the decision to put on a trade is yours. If your stop is hit and the market immediately reverses then you are responsible, not the 'big boys' gunning for stops - it happens, move on. If you get huge slippage on your trades then does your trading plan account for it or is your plan unrealistic for the market you are trading?
6. Commitment. Trading is not like a regular job, you don't pick up a pay check at the end of the month even though you did no work and spent the whole month surfing the web and emailing your friends. You must be committed to placing every trade according to your plan, even through the losing periods where every trade seems to end up a loser. Trading seems to throw up extremes of good times and bad times, you must not get over confident during the good times and you must not give up in the bad times - remember it is all part of the plan. You must set aside adequate time every day to compare your actual performance against your trading plan. You must be committed to continuous testing of new ideas and regular monitoring of your existing plan. Research into future ideas is essential - remember the only constant in trading is change.
Tim Wreford runs Online Futures Trading, a website that provides information and resources for traders. Tim also provides a free day trading system, the results of which are updated daily on the site.
Risk And Stock Trading Fees: The Two Barriers To Overcome If You Want A Successful Trading Career.
You know the old joke:"How do you make a million in the stock market? Start with two million?"There is no way around it, risk and stock market fees are a part of trading that you can`t avoid. But, you can manage your risk. You can also manage the brokerage stock trading fees that eat away at your trading float. All it takes is some planning and making good choices.If you think you`re ready to start trading, look carefully at where you`re getting your money from. Maybe you`ve been considering trading for a while and built up some savings. That`s good planning. Or maybe you`re considering borrowing money. This is generally a bad idea. Maxing out your credit cards is a quick and easy way to get cash, but the...(related: Currency Trading)
A Look At Online Forex Brokers
An online forex broker is a firm that facilitates retail trading using Internet technologies. Global Forex Trading (GFT), one of the popular online forex brokers. It provi...(related: Currency Trading)
Getting A Forex Trading Education
Many Americans are interested in getting involved in forex trading. Before doing this, you should get a forex trading education. You should never get into forex trading without forex trading education. With the proper forex trading education, you can be on your way to making a tidy profit.First you need to understand what forex trading is. Forex is short for foreign exchange. Forex trading is the si...(related: Currency Trading)
Forex Broker Involvement Optional
To trade on the forex market, the largest financial market on the planet, one must use a forex broker. Not unlike a stock broker, a forex broker can also makes suggestions about which moves to make when exchanging foreign currency. Some forex brokers even supply technical analysis to some of their clients and offer tips on research to improve their success as forex traders.Typically in the forex market a forex broker is a banking institution who may buy up large amounts of a certain currency. For years, banks were the only ones who had access to the forex markets. But today with the Internet, any forex trader, who subscribes with a forex broker, can access the market 24 hours a day.Today, as with stock brokers, the brick and mortar institutions, such as banks, are ...(related: Currency Trading)
Forex Signal Services
What are Forex signals? Forex signals are paid services offered by some brokers and independent Forex annalists. Companies that offer forex signals monitor and analyze the market for you, providing you with their data via desktop alerts, email or even SMS and pager alerts.Forex signal services analyze several factors when preparing their data. They do a technical analysis of market conditions and use a combination of indicators to identify trends and isolate profitable entry and exit points. They then send you the results via the venue of your choice and you can choose to use the signal in your own trading, or pass on it.Most forex signal services offer signals for only a handful of the most popular currency pairs, such as ...(related: Currency Trading)
Forex Trading Systems
The foreign exchange currency market is the largest market in the world because it trades up to $1.9 trillion daily. There is an enormous scope of trade in Forex because it is global, and is open twenty-four hours a day, making the presence of buyers and sellers constant, and the fluidity of the market, grand. The market is ever present because it does not have a central venue like Wall Street or Tokyo. It is a series of internet and telephone communications between buyers and sellers and it is not overseen by any one main authority like the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Forex is made available to traders through platforms.Traders of Forex commonly favor Forex trading systems. Forex trading systems are methods of trading currency based on ideas that have rules associated with them. Forex ...(related: Currency Trading)
Intrenet Marketing Vs Forex Currency Trading
Have you noticed that when someone's trying to sell you something - such as a system for making money - they always make it look far easier than it is? Let's look at two Internet businesses, almost as diametrically opposed as it's possible to be ? Internet Marketing and Forex Currency Trading.You've probably heard the old Internet adage ? build a better website and they will come. Well it ain't true! You could put up a site advertising dollars for a dime and they still wouldn't come ? because they wouldn't know where to look!Let's look at what you need to have in place in order to build a successful Internet marketing business.First of all, you need a product. If you've been reading the recent Internet marketing blurb you'll know you need a niche product. Actually, th...(related: Currency Trading)
The Yin And The Yang Of Markets
I am reading a fantastic book on trading, first published in 1924, by Richard D. Wyckoff, titled "How I Trade and Invest in Stocks & Bonds". Although most of the exam...(related: Currency Trading)
Where Is The Market Going?
If you ask me whether the market will have moved up or down by this time next year, well I may as well flip a coin, because I don't know.If you ask me whether the market will have moved up or down by this time next month, well again, I may as well flip a coin, because I still don't know.If you ask me whether the market will have moved up or down by this time next week, AGAIN, I may as well flip a coin, because I don't know.And if you ask me whether the market will have moved up or down by this time tomorrow, I am sorry, but I JUST DON'T KNOW!But? if you ask me whether the market will move up or down in next few minutes, well I will have a definite opinion. Why? Because if I can see the CU...(related: Currency Trading)
Throughout our course on futures trading, we have tried to point out to you that there is a great ...(related: Currency Trading)
What Are Your Options Regarding Forex Options Brokers?
Forex option brokers can generally be divided into two separate categories: forex brokers who offer online forex option...(related: Currency Trading)
A Short Introduction To Forex
FOREX is the world's largest and most liquid trading market. Many consider FOREX as the best home business you can ever venture in. Even though regular peo...(related: Currency Trading)