Headline Writing Can Lead To Fortunes: Here Are The Basics Of Writing Headlines
Headlines attract attention. Headlines generate interest. The time spent writing headlines can pay you back many times over.
Do you have a product or service to sell? How do you attract new customers, clients, prospects, leads or patients?
Most likely you attract them through the written word in some sort of advertising, articles, or press release. In each case you need a headline.
In fact, every printed document you publish should have a headline on it. Yes, even including your business card, if you have one!
So, what should go in your headline? Below are seven headline ideas that have proved profitable in the past. Remember the goal of the headline is to stop your reader dead in their tracks and get them to read further in to your sales copy.
1). Answer the question, "What's In It For Me?" Offer the reader a big benefit or promise of they continue reading. Here are a few examples:
* The Secret of Making People Like You
* Who Else Wants A Screen Star Figure?
* You Can Laugh At Money Worries - If You Follow This Simple Plan
* How to Win Friends and Influence People
The promise can be either explicit or implied, but it must be clear to the reader.
2). Tightly target your headlines. Don't write your headline to everyone. A headline written to everyone in reality is written to no one. Grab the attention of a very specific target audience by mentioning them by name. Here are some examples of tightly targeted headlines.
* To People Who Want To Write - But Can't Get Started
* To Men Who Want TO Quit Work Someday
* For the Woman Who Is older Than She Looks
* CAR Owners ... Save ONE GALLON OF GAS In Every TEN
* GIRLS...Want Quick CURLS?
* Attention Small Business Owners: Why Doesn't Your Advertising Work? Finally, You Can Stop Wasting Good Money On Useless Advertising! FREE Report Reveals How To Get More Customers In A Month Than You Now Get All Year - Guaranteed! Call 1-877-232-9362, Toll-Free, 24 hr., For FREE Recorded Message Now!
3). Do you have something new and exciting to offer? Try writing headline like these:
* New Cake-Improver Gets Your Compliments Galore!
* Great New Discovery Kills Kitchen Odors Quick! - Makes Indoor Air "Country Fresh"
* Announcing... The New Edition Of The Encyclopedia That Makes It Fun To Learn Things
* Announcing The New FORD CARS For 2006
* Breakthrough Money-Making Secrets That Sex Sites Do Not Want You to Find Out About - Uncovered And Revealed Inside!
* Breakthrough Internet Marketing Group Uncovers The Secrets To Getting Rich On The Web Using Simple Math Strategies!
4) Got a quick and easy solution to a problem? People are always looking for faster and easier ways to do things, so let them know.
* Headline Creator Pro Software Generates 100 Winning Headlines Quickly With Push-Button Ease!
* PLAY GUITAR In 7 Days Or Money Back [Note: Quick and easy is implied]
* Hands That Look Lovelier In 24 Hours - Or Your Money Back
* How I Improved My Memory In One Evening
* How A New Kind Of Clay Improved My Complexion In 30 Minutes
* Here's a Quick Way to Break Up a Cold.
* How To Take Out Stains... Just Follow These Easy Directions
* Here's What to Do to Get Rid of Pimples Fast
5) Ask a question, especially one that can't be answered by "yes" or "no." When a question can't be answered by "yes" or "no" the reader will generally continue reading to discover the answer. The human mind hates to be left wondering about the answer to a question. Pose a question and the human mind will work to find an answer.
* Can You Talk About BOOKS With The Rest Of Them?
* How Much Is "Working Tension" Costing Your Company?
* Do You Make These Mistakes In English?
* Five Familiar Skin Troubles - Which Do You Want To Overcome?
* Which Of These $2.50 to $5.00 Best Sellers Do You Want For Only $1.00 Each?
* Who Ever Heard Of A Woman Losing Weight - And Enjoying 3 Delicious Meals At The Same Time?
* Whose Fault When Children Disobey?
* Can You Pass This Money Test?
6) Write a hook into your headline to get your reader to continue reading.
* WARNING: Don't Pay For Another Ad Until You Read This Message!
* WARNING: Don't Join An Affiliate Program That Doesn't Meet The Following Criteria!
* Using A Lawyer May Be Dangerous To Your Wealth
* The Truth About Getting Rich
* The Most Expensive Mistake Of Your Life
* How The Next NINETY Days Can Change Your LIFE
7) Put a guarantee in your headline to increase trust.
* Guaranteed To Go Through Ice, Mud or Snow - Or We Pay The Tow!
* Hands That Look Lovelier In 24 Hours - Or Your Money Back
* PLAY GUITAR In 7 Days Or Money Back
* Hot Fresh Pizza Delivered Right To Your Door In 30 Minutes or Less - Guaranteed!
Writing headlines doesn't have to be hard. It just takes a little time and practice, so sharpen your pencil and let's get to work.
George Dodge has been working on the Internet since December 1994 and has developed, and served as webmaster for, numerous government and commercial websites for the past ten years. Two of his commercial sites focusing on copywriting include Winning Website Sales Letters that that is a great resource for entrepreneurs and webmasters trying to write Web Copy to sell on the Web and http://www.Headline-Creator-Pro.com which is a software site where you can get your copy of the amazing headline generating software tool that enables you to create winning headlines quickly with push button ease. Headline Creator Pro can generate 100 winning headline ideas in just 17 seconds flat!
How To Test The Body Of Your Sales Copy For Weaknesses
Your sales copy is the life source of your business. If your sales copy isn't pulling in a decent conservation rate, then your business is suffering.In this article, we are...(related: Copywriting)
Power Words And Phrases
I like to use power phrases when writing sales material. These power phrases add punch to a line or a paragraph and I usually use them to start off a sentence.You can generally find alot of "power phrases" when reading good sales copy. I usually keep a notebook nearby so that whenever I come across a line or a phrase that I Iike in sales material, I write it down for possible future use.They are also great for writers block too. When I am stuck in the middle of writing, I'll usually refer to my power phrases, and the next thing I know, the sentences sometimes start writing themselves.Some examples of the power phrases I use include:"Listen closely...""As you...(related: Copywriting)
How To Build Benefits From Features Fast And Easy With The Solution Approach
Every salesperson and fledgling copywriter hears the harangue: DON'T SELL the FEATURES of a product ? SELL the BENEFITS those features bring!!!The concept's important but it confuses a lot of people. Many sellers don't understand how to build a benefit from a feature. Back when I was first learning to write sales copy, I didn't know how myself. I just knew it was critical I figure it out.Finally I realized what...(related: Copywriting)
10 Things You Should Expect From Your Website Copywriter
As websites and electronic commerce are becoming more and more common, business owners and marketing managers are realising that quality web copy is every bit as important as impressive design. And with the ever increasing importance of search engine presence, the role of web copy has never been more critical.But in such a relatively new field, customers are still coming to grips with what they can expect of their website copywriter. The question a lot of people are asking is, "How do I know I'll get what I pay for?"Before engaging a website copywriter for your next project, ask them whether they're able to provide you with the following ten essentials?1) Fixed QuoteA lot of website copywriters will tell you they only work on an hourly rate. They'll cite varying require...(related: Copywriting)
The Lost Art Of Fundamental Copywriting
What ever happened to good old fashion, fundamental copywriting? Has anyone seen AIDA? I mean, before you can run, you first have to learn how to walk, right? Yet, I see it over and over again. Marketers who can't even write a simple headline are trying to "hypnotize" readers with "psychological copywriting," because that's what a few of today's copywriting experts are telling them they should do!I'll let you in on a little secret. If you master the fundamentals of copy...(related: Copywriting)
Dissolving Buyer Scepticisim ... A Lesson In Copywriting
When making a purchasing decision, people have their "rip off radars" on high beam. They're wary and so they should be -- after all, they're about to spend money so they want to be sure they're not going to get ripped off, AND they want to be sure they're going to get the absolute best return on their advertising dollar.Anyone can claim something generates great results. And they often do.Here are some ways to dissolve scepticism and prove your claims:1. Testimonials...(related: Copywriting)
Five Tips For Writing Eyeball-grabbing Headlines
If you made it this far, the headline for this story has caught your attention. Hot headlines are a hit with readers because they stick out, grab attention and urge them to read the rest of the story.We're all exp...(related: Copywriting)
Beyond Once Upon A Time: Fairy Tales Arent The Only Thing Needing Catchy Openings
Once a upon a recent time in a galaxy not so far away, I received an e-newsletter that provided valuable dos and don'ts for email newsletter publication. Ah, something about this newsletter didn't pull me in to read its tales nor did I take out the sword to slash my name from the e-newsletter distribution list. Happens to all who inhabit the Kingdom of the Internet; we sign up for an e-newsletter, but rarely read what we receive. These newsletters have value and appeal to me because they address an interest, help me do my job, and / or keep me on top of developments in a hobby.After a long day of working at the castle, I'm too fatigued to read the e-newsletter. These folks throw more stones in my already heavy email box; it's worse than Publishers Clearinghouse. How often do they send these missives? I don't ...(related: Copywriting)
Traffics Nice... But Whos Driving?
In the competitive marketplace of the new millennium, the demand for specialized products or services will increase. If your site sells everything or to everyone, chances are that your audience will not perceive a value in shopping from you any greater than from anyone else. Keep in mind that price is *never* an issue -- it is the value behi...(related: Copywriting)
How To Write Direct Mail That Really, Really Works!
So, you have something you want to sell. It may be a product, a service, or a cause. It could be a membership, a subscription, or a motor car. It might be paper, health products or the idea that the humane society or the Alzheimer's association is worth giving money to. It could be comput...(related: Copywriting)
Copywriting Makeover: Search Engine-friendly Can Also Mean Visitor-friendly
When it comes to search engine optimization, copywriting plays a big role. You want to have excellent copy that appeals to both your visitors and the engines in order to create pages that will rank highly. However, sometimes there can be potential problems with fitting copy into certain types of sites. Due to space constraints, page layout requirements or other issues, some site owners hesitate to include SEO copy thinking it will detract from the visitor's experience. It won't if you do it right!Gigmasters.com is a database site that allows visitors to search for any number of entertainment options then bo...(related: Copywriting)
Tech-writers: A Necessary Evil
New to tech-writing, or thinking about starting? The key to success is recognising that tech-writers are a necessary evil.Tech-writers are necessary because someone has to write the user doco. The programmers and managers sure as hell don't want to. This is actually part of the reason that you're evil, too. In my experience, most programm...(related: Copywriting)
How To Be Creative
Network marketing is an art as much as it is an applied science. To take a blank sheet of paper or canvas and draw or paint an interesting picture, you've got to have an imagination and creativity.The other day, I was watching some video tapes I had made of my son when he was between 2 and 6 years old. One thing that impressed me was the total freedom he had to express his imagination and creativity.He was always coming off with some unique or interesting new way of lookin...(related: Copywriting)