8 Tips For Writing Headlines That Grab Attention (and Keep Prospects Reading!)
Effective headlines make all the difference in whether your prospect reads your marketing materials or simply tosses them to the side. You don't even have a chance for a sale if the audience won't read what you write. One way to keep prospects reading is to give your copy attention-grabbing headlines. Here are eight tips to make sure your headlines get the message across:
1. Turn each headline into a problem or benefit-oriented statement. What interests a prospect most about what you offer? Reading headlines that tell how great your company is or focusing only on the features of your product or service won't cut it. Instead, speak to what appeals most to a prospect ? usually, that's the fact that you offer the solution to their problem.
2. Make headlines short, sweet and to the point. Your reader's attention span can be measured in milliseconds, so you must get to the point fast. Use as few words as possible to entice your reader to continue reading.
3. Don't sensationalize your headline. Ever read a headline that sounded too good to be true? That's exactly what your reader will think if you promise too much in your headline. Keep headlines factual but exciting?from your prospect's point of view.
4. Immediately explain your headline in the copy that follows. Once you've got your prospect's attention with exciting headlines, make sure your copy tells the rest of the story. And do it as soon after the headline as possible, or your prospect may quit reading after less than a paragraph if he feels the headline didn't explain itself promptly.
5. Use attention-grabbing verbiage. Don't be shy with your headlines...use words and phrases that give your reader an enticement to keep reading. After all, if you see headlines starting with Free, Secrets of..., Tips to..., or a question, you'll probably keep reading so you don't miss anything. Your prospect feels the same way.
6. Keep your target audience in mind. Explain the benefits of your product or service in a way that always appeals to your target market. Never forget who they are, what they like/dislike, what problems they face, and what solutions they need.
7. Use action verbs instead of "to be" verbs. One of the simplest, most powerful ways to liven up headlines means changing "to be" verbs into action verbs. Replace verbs such as is, are, was, were, has, and have with action words. In fact, you should avoid using "to be" verbs in all of your copy, but especially avoid using them in your headlines.
8. Test your materials on a knowledgeable audience. Put your piece to the test by asking people you trust to evaluate it and give you honest feedback. Then, tighten up the headlines and copy some more, and get ready to watch your marketing materials convince prospects you really do have the solution to their problem!
Nancy J. Wagner of Cut to the Chase Marketing is a speaker, writer, and marketing strategist who helps small businesses increase their sales with effective marketing materials and websites. Download her free 9-step marketing plan at http://www.CutToTheChaseMarketing.com
?super Adjectives? Boost The Power Of Your Copy
Pretty or elegant? Good or scrumptious? Nice or delightful? There is power in the adjectives you choose. Just like Clark Kent and Superman or Bruce Wayne and Batman, some adjectives are plain, ordinary, everyday words. Others are alter-ego Super Adjectives that leap into your customers' minds in a single bound. Adjectives are boring, but Super Adjectives impress, inspire, and convince yo...(related: Copywriting)
Increase Freelance Sales With An Online Resume!
Freelancing is a competitive business, especially in today's fast-paced, e-focused world.Often there are hundreds of writers competing for t...(related: Copywriting)
Sell Anything To Anyone On The Internet With Hypnotic Writing
I imagine you are the type of person who really wants to make your idea a reality. I also think that you fall into one of two groups; the first is a person who WANTS to succeed but does not know how. The second is the person who has read so many books on great marketing and still can't find the HOLY GRAIL so does not get of the ground.Are you fed up of reading about everyone else's success? What about you're share of all this wealth flying across the internet?Read on.Times have changed, they always change; change is the only constant.Internet marketing and E books c...(related: Copywriting)
Copywriting And Your Five Senses
In its most basic form, copywriting is, among other things, the art of conveying a message in writing for the purpose of persuading someone to do something. This is especially true when writing descriptive copy. Why? Because your custom...(related: Copywriting)
The Secret To Web Copywriting Gurudom
Have you seen those copywriting gurus, working it on the web? How'd they get so darned famous? How can YOU get what THEY have? Here are some creative ideas for you to kick around and use in your copywriting escapades.1. Get a theme.First and foremost, to be screamingly successful as a web copywriter, you must have a HOOK. Copywriters are a dime a dozen, but the standouts have their brands jacked up for instant recognizability.You've likely heard of Michel Fortin,...(related: Copywriting)
Working On The Internet: Role Of Proofreading And Copy Editing Online
When one is in a creative state, rarely can one also be in a detail state. Thus, mistakes in correct grammar, spelling and continuity of all details, may happen. Also, proofreading our own work can be very difficult, for all of us. This is because the same mental processes that went into composition are the ones we use to correct our work. Hence, so many websites are launched...(related: Copywriting)
How You Can Find Freelance Children?s Writing Positions That Will Last
Freelance children's writing positions are always advertised. Rather, the schooling to learn how to write for these jobs is advertised. But, there is often a large lack of employment vacancies actually available. Many of these companies offering to train individuals in these positions claim that there are quite a few ...(related: Copywriting)
How To Develop A Killer News Hook
When you are going to write a press release probably the most important thing you can do is create a killer news hook. A press release without a news hook is just blatant advertising, plain and simple. There is nothing that turns off journalists more than a press release that's just advertising, and when you turn them off, they're often off for good.So, with this in mind, creating a news hook for your press release and media plan in general is probably the most important thing that you can do. But, how do you do it?A...(related: Copywriting)
Writing Great Website Sales Copy
Many small businesses fail because their owners don't pay enough attention to marketing and sales. Part of the effectiveness of a marketing effort is directly related to the sales copy you produce. This is especially true on...(related: Copywriting)
One of the biggest challenges a copywriter faces is to make future clients feel confident in his or her ability. You know you can deliver, but your clients don't know that... yet! In my own experiences as a freelancer, I've noticed that the most hesitant potential clients often ask the same questions. Following are answers to help allay their fears.Copywriting FAQ's:1. How do I know your writing style is the right one for my company?I understand where this question comes from, because I ask it myself when I need to solicit the help of another writer. A good copywriter would never inject her own personality or opinion into the work she does for other people. Rather, she adopts the appropriate tone for their particular industry.When it comes to writing, I consider myself something of a chameleon. If you tak...(related: Copywriting)
Common Mistakes That Can Kill Your Web Copy
Sometimes learning what not to do is as important as learning what to do. Copywriting is no exception. I oftentimes see copy that is well written, but ...(related: Copywriting)