10 Tips For Tech-writers
Tech-writing is a tricky business. It's not a very high profile industry, so there's not much support around. Follow these 10 quick tips, and you'll be well on your way to a satisfying tech-writing career.
1) Follow a sensible career path?
- STEP 1: Start in a team
- STEP 2: Stay only just long enough
- STEP 3: Manage yourself
- STEP 4: Manage a team
- STEP 5: Go contracting (depends on the market)
2) Knowledge is your lifeblood ? learn the politics of your company. Know who knows what. Find someone who consistently gives you timely, reliable, technically accurate answers, and get their name tattooed on your shoulder! Every company has at least one. And they may not be in the project manager/product manager/customer/programmer roles. They are generally the people who've used the product in the real world, and dealt with real world customers.
3) Communicate WITH, not AT. Tech-writers don't have enough power to get away with communicating at.
4) Track stuff (take spreadsheet printout and write it up on the board).
5) Develop good product and domain knowledge ? The more you can figure out for yourself, the better off you'll be (and the more respect you'll get from the techies).
6) Find out who your users are, what they are trying to do, what they are having trouble doing, and how they want to be helped. Then provide this assistance. Help the user do what they are trying to do. Don't just tell them what the product can do? a help system is only helpful if it addresses the users' needs.
7) Treat everyone as a customer. Then manage their expectations and your commitments. Always ensure they know what you're doing. Tell them when you'll be finished. And pull out all stops to meet your deadline.
8) Provide a surrogate user testing mechanism for the development team ? providing usability feedback.
9) Work as hard as required to get good quality doco finished on time and to budget ? this is how you'll get the satisfaction out of work that you need.
10) Have fun with it.
Don't become jaded and cynical by the high-tech, harsh, uncaring IT world. Use your smarts, and make the most of the resources provided. Most importantly of all, make work satisfaction your number 1 goal. It's the best way to stay happy and get ahead.
About The Author
* Glenn Murray is an SEO copywriter and Article Submission Specialist. He is a director of PublishHub and also of copywriting studio Divine Write. He can be contacted on Sydney +612 4334 6222 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.divinewrite.com or http://www.publishhub.com for further details, more FREE articles, or to purchase his e-book, 'SEO Secrets'.
Increase Freelance Sales With An Online Resume!
Freelancing is a competitive business, especially in today's fast-paced, e-focused world.Often there are hundreds of writers competing for t...(related: Copywriting)
Copywriter Trick Unveiled: How To Write Better Copy Faster
"Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book." Ralph Waldo Emerson's GoetheI'm going to share with you a method guaranteed to get your copy razor sharp in a hurry. It's an old trick I learned in journalism school, and it works great to get those creative juices flowing. Since I've been using it regularly again, I write circles around my former output times. The words are just at my fingertips.How did I do it? (More importantly, how can you do it too?) Well, you probably already know you must have curiosity to become a good writer...(related: Copywriting)
The Secret To Web Copywriting Gurudom
Have you seen those copywriting gurus, working it on the web? How'd they get so darned famous? How can YOU get what THEY have? Here are some creative ideas for you to kick around and use in your copywriting escapades.1. Get a theme.First and foremost, to be screamingly successful as a web copywriter, you must have a HOOK. Copywriters are a dime a dozen, but the standouts have their brands jacked up for instant recognizability.You've likely heard of Michel Fortin,...(related: Copywriting)
Why Is Free The Most Powerful Marketing Word You Can Use?
As the famous cowboy Will Rogers once said, "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there".So what does that have to do with "FREE"? Quite a lot really.Firstly, business is a constant evolution - a process, you simply cannot remain still even if you are in the lead. You need to be constantly improving, constantly evolving and constantly looking for ways to differentiate yourself from the other guy.Here's why:There are essentially three types of customers:? Type 1 was going to become your customer no matter what. ? Type 2 will never become your customer no matter what, ? And then there is Type 3...Type 3 customers are sitting in the middle, they're on the fence. They...(related: Copywriting)
The Formulas Freelance Copywriters Employ When Creating Web Content
What is it exactly that copywriters DO when they produce new text for a site makeover? You often see the advertisements; a designer is looking for a freelance web writer who is going to create content around a number of keywords. There's not a lot more information about the process. What are the tricks of the trade and how do you get value for money when hiring a freelance writer?When you discuss a site makeover with a copywriter, be prepared to answer a lot of questions. Any writer needs to know the answers to at least these questions before he can meaningfully go to town on your content;What is the site's line of business?Who is targeted?How does the client want their web content to reflect their goals?What is th...(related: Copywriting)
Lapsed Donors: How To Write A Fundraising Letter That Wins Them Back
Your definition may differ, but I define a lapsed donor as someone who has not donated to your organization within the last year, two years or three years. Donors who have not sent you a gift in over three years are not lapsed donors. They are former donors.Lapsed donors are valuable. Unlike strangers, they have supported you before. And they believe in your missio...(related: Copywriting)
Three Tips For Magnetizing Your Copy
The difference between good copy and great copy is the number of actions it generates. The more actions the copy drives, the greater the copy is.My friend John Reese, a master at simplifying what we often tend to unnecessarily complicate, says it best. He says the only metric you should ever really count on is this: "Yes" or "No."That's it.Now, what makes great copy nudge people into action requires a variety of different things -- things I often find missing with most of the copy I critique.<...(related: Copywriting)
How To Find A Copywriting School
Have you heard the good things about the field of copywriting? If you have, then you know that a qualified copywriter is an invaluable asset to those looking for them. Becoming this asset means going to a copywriting school. Turn this to your advantage. First, most copywriting schools can be found throughout the internet ...(related: Copywriting)
Health And Fitness: A Huge Industry In Need Of Writers
Think about how much you read about and spend on health and fitness.Do you ever exercise? Take supplements? Go on a diet? Visit the doctor sometimes? Most of us do all four. And how many books, magazines, tapes of videos ...(related: Copywriting)
10 Things You Should Expect From Your It Copywriter
Anyone who's ever tried marketing IT products or services knows that it's a specialist field. Your customers in the IT industry have very unique and specific requirements, and that means you do too. In order to write compelling copy around your offering, you need a copywriter with a solid understanding of the IT world ? someone who's not afraid to call themselves an "IT Copywriter". So how do you know when you've found an IT copywriter? And ? more importantly ? how do you know what to expect from them? The following 10 tips will give you a good understanding of the qualities to look for ? the things that make a copywriter an IT copywriter. 1) IT backgroundPerhaps the most beneficial quality in an IT copywriter is a solid background of some sort...(related: Copywriting)
7 Easy Tips On How To Improve Your Sales Letter Instantly
Would you like to get more sales from your online sales letter? Here are 7 easy tips that you can improve on your ad copy instantly and generate more revenue:1. Have a Strong Call to Action. Decide what is it that you want your prospect to do when reading your sales letter. Are you asking your prospect to subscribe to your mailing list? Or is it to make a purchase? Lead your prospect to the conclusion you want by making your offer sound really attractive (eg. give valuable bonuses) and making it easy for him or her to take action.2. Get help in spotting errors. It's tough to have a 100 percent perfect ad copy. Solve this problem by giving a reward to your readers who spot more than five errors in your ad copy. Alternatively, ask your personal friends to help you to check for errors and buy them lunch!3. Give a percenta...(related: Copywriting)