16 Ways To Drive Traffic To Your Blog
You've got your blog set up and you've started posting pithy, useful information that your niche market would benefit from and enjoy. Days go by, you keep publishing, but no one comments and your traffic stats are barely registering. What do you do?
Like any website you own, you must do some blog promotion to start driving traffic to your site. Here are 16 steps, in no particular order of importance, that you can start doing now to get traffic moving to your blog.
1. Set up a Bloglet subscription form on your blog and invite everyone in your network to subscribe: family, friends, colleagues, clients, associates.
2. Set up a feed on MyYahoo.com so your site gets regularly spidered by the Yahoo search engine (see tutorial on http://www.biztipsblog.com)
3. Read and comment on other blogs that are in your target niche. Don't write things like "nice blog" or "great post." Write intelligent, useful comments with a link to your blog.
4. Use Ping-0-matic to ping blog directories. Do this every time you publish.
5. Submit your blog to traditional search engines: http://www.submitfire.com
6. Submit your blog to blog directories. The most comprehensive list of directories is on this site:
Tip: Create a form to track your submissions; this can take several hours when you first start so schedule an hour a day for submitting or hire a VA to do it for you.
7. Add a link to your blog in your email signature file.
8. Put a link to your blog on every page of your website.
9. If you publish a newsletter, make sure you have a link to your blog in every issue.
10. Include a link to your blog as a standard part of all outgoing correspondence such as autoresponder sequences, sales letters, reports, white papers, etc.
11. Print your blog URL on your business cards, brochures and flyers.
12. Make sure you have an RSS feed URL that people can subscribe to.The acronym RSS means Rich Site Summary, or some may consider its meaning as Really Simple Syndication. It is a document type that lists updates of websites or blogs available for syndication. These RSS documents (also known as 'feeds') may be read using aggregators (news readers). RSS feeds may show headlines only or both headlines and summaries.
To learn how news aggregators/RSS readers work, see this site: http://www.rss-specifications.com/rss-readers.htm
13. Post often to keep attracting your subscribers to come back and refer you to others in their networks; include links to other blogs, articles and websites in your posts
14. Use Trackback links when you quote or refer to other blog posts. What is TrackBack? Essentially what this does is send a message from one server to another server letting it know you have posted a reference to their post. The beauty is that a link to your blog is now included on their site.
15. Write articles to post around the web in article directories. Include a link to your blog in the author info box (See example in our signature below).
16. Make a commitment to blog everyday. 10 minutes a day can help increase your traffic as new content attracts search engine spiders. Put it on your calendar as a task every day at the same time.
Tip: Use a hit counter to track your visitor stats: how many unique visitors, how many page views, average length of visit. You can get a free hit counter at http://www.sitemeter.com
Denise Wakeman of Next Level Partnership, and Patsi Krakoff of Customized Newsletter Services, have teamed up to create blogging classes and marketing services for independent professionals. You can read and subscribe to their blogs at http://www.biztipsblog.com, http://www.coachezines.com and http://www.bizbooknuggets.com
Will Spam-blogging Be The Death Of Blogging?
Technorati reports that 30,000 - 40,000 new blogs are being created each day.According to David Sifry, part of the growth of new blogs created each day is due to an increase in spam blogs.What are spam blogs? They are fake blogs that are created by robots in order to foster link farms, attempted search engine optimization, or drive traffic through to advertising or affiliate sites.They contain robot-generated posts made up of random words, with the title linking back to the blogger's own p...(related: Blogging)
What Is A Blog?
Q: Not to ask a ridiculously obvious question, but what is a blog? And what's the future of blogs and blogging?A: By a remarkable coincidence, Steven Streight, aka Vaspers the Grate, just asked me the very same questions about the definition of blogs on his own site, so rather than write something new, I'm just going...(related: Blogging)
Feeds For Small Business: Real World Examples
A merchant I was talking to the other day asked to me, "Aren't feeds for bigger companies with IT people on staff?" All they knew about feeds was that bigger companies , news providers etc., were using them. After I explained how that particular merchant could use a feed for her business, she were quite excited about the prospect of doing just that.The particlular merchant I was talking to in fact, had no web site, and did not see the need for one. But after we discussed feeds she definately thought that a feed service could benefit her business.Feeds can benefit any business online or not. below are a couple of samples of how feeds can be ...(related: Blogging)
Blogging Your Way To Success Part 1
It has been said that blogging will be the new trend in the 21st century. It is easy to see why. If you do not have any idea what blogging is, it is something like publishing an online diary.Everyday, more and more Internet users log on to the Internet in search of good, solid information they can use. And they want it for FREE. Blogging is an easy and effective way to provide it while expanding your customer base seamlessly and getting targeted traffic funneled to your online business.This could be one of the main reasons for their skyrocketing popu...(related: Blogging)
Avoid Bad Manners While Blogging
Blogging, the hottest trend in online publishing right now,is currently spreading like wildfire ac...(related: Blogging)
Why Your Blog Might Be Sabotaging Your Business
Many marketers were very excited when forum and newsletter discussion focused first on blogs (about two years ago) and then on RSS feeds (mainly within the past year). It was a brand new opportunity for marketers to use, one that promised both search engine success and a way around spam complaints. So they ran out and created a free blogger account or bought some software and began blogging and trying to set up RSS feeds.But many of these marketers didn't understand the very real difference between newsletter readers and blog readers.1. While newsletters are published from once a month to weekly there is an expectation among blog readers that content will be updated daily, i...(related: Blogging)
4 Fail-proof Ways To Increase Your Rss Subscribers
Using RSS on your website is a good way to spread your company message and increase your search engine position. But if you don't have subscribers to your newsfeed, the benefits of news syndication are lost.This article will provide you with 4 proven ways to increase the subscribers to your newsfeed.1. Use an RSS Auto-Discovery TagEmbedding an RSS auto-discovery tag into your webpage can allow newsreaders to automatically detect you serve RSS newsfeeds. Web browsers such as Firefox and Safari now detect RSS automatically, and ask the visitor if he or she wants to subscribe to your feed. This way, you don't have to push your RSS feed - the web browser does it for you. Also, Yahoo search results will include an "Add to My Yahoo" link if you use an auto-discovery tag.Global Syndication of...(related: Blogging)
Is Your Site Ready For The Coming Rss Revolution?
Recently, there have been many developments in theRSS arena. Changes that will make RSS a major force on the web and a dominant contributing factorto your computing experience. Online marketers shoul...(related: Blogging)
Could There Be A New Way Of Hearing The News Stories We Feel Are Relevant In Our Lives?
Mainstream media has become a single-minded authority on how we should perceive life. Theirs is a negative perspective. Could there be a new way of hearing the stories we feel are relevant in our lives?If you're anything like me you are really getting tired of the mainstream media's one-voice-to-many analysis of life on Earth. First of all, it's just too negative! I read a survey recently that stated that fourteen out of fifteen newspap...(related: Blogging)
Promoting Your Business Using Blogs
Internet marketing using blogs has quickly gained a lot of popularity as a wonderful way to promote your business.There are many ways that blogging can help in the promotion of your business. Since blogs are usually full of links and contain a large amount of keywords it will give your...(related: Blogging)
Blogging Your Way To Success Part 2
(Continued from Blogging Your Way To Success Part 1)By now, you have already configured your blog name, description, personal profile, and the page template. As soon as you set up your blogging account with Blogger, you will need to do this next:Post At Least 20 Articles=While this may sound like hard work, there is no short cut around it. This, you have to do. It is mandatory. Why?Before you start whining, let me remind you that you are in business. If you are serious enough about making your money then this should not bother you much. Now, the reason I ask of you to post at ...(related: Blogging)