13 Donts On Child Safety
For years, we have been taught that 13 is an unlucky number: Don't go up to the 13th floor of a building and don't go out on Friday the 13th, our grandmothers used to say. But 13 is also a sacred number due to its secret knowledge, mystery and tangible powers.
This last revelation has been brought masterfully down by a professional who is known for her experience in the study of child safety. Author Debra Smiley Holtzman brings a particular expertise of the number 13 to the pages of "The Safe Baby: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Home Safety."
With this do-it-yourself manual, parents and thinking-to-be parents will learn the essentials of protecting the baby. I took this from the release of the book. Here's Debra Holtzman's List of 13:
1. Balloons: More children have suffocated on uninflated balloons and pieces of balloons than any other type of toy. Balloon related deaths are more common among children ages three and older than among younger children. Keep balloons away from children under eight years of age.
2. Storage chests: Suffocation deaths occur in such places when children crawl inside and cannot escape. The best choice is one without a lid or one with a lightweight, removable one. If a chest closes, make sure it has ventilation holes.
3. Bunkbeds: To prevent entrapment, all spaces between the guardrail and the bed frame and in the head and footboards should be less than three-and- one- half inches and there should be guardrails on both sides. Children under the age of six should never sleep on the top bed.
4. Stuffed toys: Be aware that seams can separate and allow stuffing or plastic pellets to be released, presenting a choking hazard to young children. Check also for small detachable parts, security of eyes, nose and mouth of stuffed toys.
5. Art Supplies: Always look for this label: ASTM D-4236. This label means the product has been reviewed by a toxicologist. If it is necessary, cautionary information will be included with this label. Children under age 12 should never be allowed to use hazardous art materials, which can expose your child to toxic substances, including lead, cadmium, nickel and organic solvents.
6. Garage Door: Watch out for automatic garage doors. If your garage door does not already have one, install a sensor such as an 'electric eye' for the garage door. It signals the door to reverse its motion if anything is in the way.
7. Entertainment Center: Use angle braces or anchors to secure larger furniture-which presents a tipping hazard-to the wall.
8. Baby Walkers: Each year, an average of 2 children die as a result of baby-walker related injuries. Holtzman recommends using a stationary activity center instead.
9. Water faucet: Water with 140 degrees Fahrenheit will produce a third-degree burn on a child in just 3 seconds! Set hot water heaters no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. A lower water temperature will reduce the chance of scald burns. Always check the water temperature before giving a small child a bath.
10. Mouthwash: Many brands contain alcohol. Children are much more sensitive to the toxic effects of alcohol than adults.
11. Window Treatments with hanging cords: Those that were manufactured before 2001 may pose a strangulation risk to small children. Consider replacing them with today's safer products or repairing them.
12. Antifreeze: It has a sweet taste. Children or pets will drink large amounts of it if it is left out in an open container or if it is spilled on your driveway.
13. Plants: As beautiful as they appear, decorative plants may not be safe as you think. Two common household plants that are frequently ingested by children are Dieffenbachia and Philodendron. Both of these plants can cause very serious symptoms. These plants contain oxalates, small crystals that get released into the mouth when the plant is chewed, causing extreme pain and inflammation.
A popular Flower Garden plant is the beautiful Oleander.
Alma De la Cruz, a staff mystic employed by http://www.psychicrealm.com, has a profound personal history where she has unabashedly delved deep into the heart of occult mysteries for an extensive period of her life. Her name literally means "Soul of the Cross" in Spanish. Currently she is working publishing a manuscript that delves into the mysteries of Hispanic new age beliefs incorporating old insights with new spiritual methodologies. Check out her bi weekly metaphysical column: http://www.newagenotebook.com where she takes a new twist, incorporating Latin shamanistic philosophies with leading edge occult beliefs.
The Scoop On Giving Your Baby Juice
Many moms like to think that as soon as their baby turns 6 months of age, they should start giving them juice. But this couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, juice is NOT necessary for an infant. Here's why:- Because of the sugars in juice, it can cause diarrhea.- Too much juice can cause a child to be overweight or obese.- Juice contains sugars and acids that can cause tooth decay.- Giving your baby too much juice can hinder growth and development, and can cause malnutrition and anemia due to lack of nutrients like proteins and complex carbohydrates.- If you are still breastfeeding, juice can ca...(related: Babies)
Unusual Baby Boy Names - Finding Exotic And Unique Baby Names
Unusual baby boy names and finding exotic and unique baby names can be loads of fun! Rather than giving your baby boy a name like Jacob, John or Harry -- you'd prefer him have one of the more exotic and unique baby names.There are several ways to find unusual baby boy names. Here are some suggestions:1. Start with the most popular names being given to baby boys. For parents living in the USA, you can easily find this kind of information by visiting the Social Security Administration's website (click on the link at the bottom of this page to go to the direct link to the SSA baby names search). See which names that are popular are also unusual baby boy names. You can view the most popular names for the past year, boy names given s...(related: Babies)
What Foods Should I Avoid While Breastfeeding?
Women in our culture are sometimes advised to avoid spicy or "gassy" foods when nursing. Or they are told that chocolate, citrus, carbonated beverages or dairy causes problems in all nursing babies.As a breastfeeding educator, I often see women warning other Moms that they need to avoid certain foods while breastfeeding. There are also websites that give unproven breastfeeding advice that claim that women must eat a certain kind of diet in order to make quality milk for her baby. So what is the truth?...(related: Babies)
Baby Shower Hostess Etiquette
Does baby shower hostess etiquette allow for gift suggestions, if yes, how? Here you will find numerous ways how the baby shower host c...(related: Babies)
Have Fun Purchasing A Stroller For Your Baby
You are getting ready to welcome your baby into your life and one of the items you are considering is a stroller. Strollers come...(related: Babies)
Baby?s First Year ? What To Expect
As a new Mom, you are probably wondering about many things: how will he react to his new surroundings? when will she sleep for more than 2 hours? what can I expect in the following year? an so many other questions.....Each baby is different. Your baby's rate of growth, appearance, and personality, will all be unique to him or her. As you embark on this journey with your new baby, take time to enjoy their presence in your life.Here are some of the milestones to wa...(related: Babies)
Gift Giving For Baby
Since they are you friends or relatives, chances are you know their lifestyle. Do they like to travel or like taking day trips to the amusement parks or zoos? If yes, backpack diaper bag is a good idea. A backpack diaper bag frees up both hands and it looks good on both man and woman. Baby carrier is another good choice for gift for active parents. Think about other travel accessories like shopping cart strap, stroller cup holder and other small but ...(related: Babies)
Make Your Own Baby Food - The Easy Way!
Is your baby about to start solid foods? Are you thinking of makingyour own baby food?When you make baby's first foods, you can save money and reducewaste. You also can choose more nutritious options. Fresh foods are typically more nutritious than canned, and you can purchase organic food to prepare for baby if you wish. You can also avoidunwholesome ingredients that show up in commercial baby food.Making baby food doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming.In fact, the easiest and cheapest way is the best way!The easy way to making your own baby food:1) Don't bother with buying o...(related: Babies)